top of page
Conwy CC has a rich history in the area, and is thought to have been around as early as 1840. Read more below:
There are various details of the club from the 1880's, with a full scorecard available from a 1886 match against Bangor CC.
The club is understood to have reformed after the war in 1948, moving from Llandudno Junction to Gyffin in 1960, and then again to the current location, at Bodlondeb fields, just outside of the Conwy town walls.
Here is a 1951 article from a local newspaper, describing the clubs (then) recent and less recent history:
Conwy Cricket Club, one of the oldest clubs on the North Wales coast, was revived four summers ago and has made good progress. Many years ago the pitch was just off what is now the eighth fairway on the Caernarvonshire golf links and well known touring clubs played there. The present Conwy club first started to play at Bodlondeb, but the pitch was found to be unsuitable and permission was obtained to use a field on the Woodlands School Estate, Llandudno Junction. A considerable amount of money has been spent on ground improvements. Senior and second teams are being run"
Teams who played in 1948 at Bodlondeb include Crosville Sports Club (the old bus company), Braids S.C. (a big local garage in Colwyn Bay where Slaters were until recently), Coldrator S.C. (possibly a forerunner of Hotpoint), Forestry School, Betws-y-Coed. Interestingly one away game was played against Victoria C.C., Deganwy, at Woodlands School who had their own ground on Victoria Drive.
The club started playing at "Woodlands" in 1949, also up Victoria Drive and virtually across the road from the Woodlands School pitch but down a lane, leading to the site of what is now the Llandudno Junction Community Club Ltd.(Sports and Social).
The club members purchased and erected a new timber pavilion for the start of the 1953 season at a cost of £200, and was officially opened by the Mayor, Alderman J.E. Jones. At the time, the Chairman Mr. J. Parkes-Smith, said more funds were required to build a score box. He recalled the club had been reformed six years ago at Bodlondeb with “three bats, stumps and two or three balls" given by Mr. R.H. Moore of Colwyn Bay and a former Hampshire captain.
Other clubs played against in those years were Caernarvon Education Club, BEM Bangor, Ministry of Labour (Manchester), RAF Valley (Anglesey), Normal College Bangor, Old Maricollians (Liverpool), Caernarvon NALGO (National Association of Local Government Officers), Abergele, Colwyn Bay, Bangor 2nd's, Rhyl, Mochdre, RASC (Menai Bridge) and Llandudno.
We are always keen to learn about any historical information or pictures of the club that may be available. Please get in touch if you have anything that you would like to share.
bottom of page